LeagueBoards.net Legacy Forums Archive — EUNE

Mathguys report in!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Guitar

raf.png s1Gold.png

05-29-2010

Okay I need someone to explain this to me. I understand everything, but I don't understand how it's possible. Okay here it is:
Given:
a = 1
b = 1

So now I can conclude the following things:

a = b
a^2 = ab
a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2
(a+b)(a-b) = b(a-b) <----
(a+b) = b
a+a = b
2a = b
2 = 1

Yea thats what I thought.
By the way, the arrow marked row is in theory division by 0, since a-b = 0 and I divide both sides by a-b. That might be the problem but I can't get a hold of this.

Ingolf

s1Gold.png s2Diamond.png s3Diamond.png

05-29-2010

Yes, that's the problem. You're dividing with 0.

5p0ng3b0b

s1Gold.png

05-29-2010

you just can't divide with 0 so what's the thing you don't understand?

eLoox

raf.png s1Gold.png s2Platinum.png s3Platinum.png

05-30-2010

Quote:
Guitar:
Okay I need someone to explain this to me. I understand everything, but I don't understand how it's possible. Okay here it is:
Given:
a = 1
b = 1

So now I can conclude the following things:

a = b
a^2 = ab
a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2
(a+b)(a-b) = b(a-b) <----
(a+b) = b
a+a = b
2a = b
2 = 1

Yea thats what I thought.
By the way, the arrow marked row is in theory division by 0, since a-b = 0 and I divide both sides by a-b. That might be the problem but I can't get a hold of this.

(a+b)(a-b) =\= b(a-b)

Ingolf

05-30-2010

Yes it is.

(a+b)(a-b)=a*a-a*b+a*b-b*b=a^2-b^2

and

b(a-b)=a*b-b*b=a*b-b^2

a=b so a*b=a*a

a*b-b^2=a^2-b^2

The equations are right except for the part where you divide with (a-b). Stop making non-complicated things complicated.

CaosProfundo

05-30-2010

In fact the problem is that you're using two different signs to represent the same number:

A=1 and B=1 can't happen at the same time so it's wrongly expressed to begin with.

It's a basic rule when talking about maths that each different sign is used to represent different numbers.

Ingolf

05-31-2010

Argh, LoL forum trolls, stop brain farting already. There are no such math rule. Of course you can put a=1, b=1 and hence a=b. Just like you can put a=2x and b=a.

If you don't know squad about math, stop discussing it here.

It's plain simple, don't divide with 0. Nothing more, nothing less. Stop making up non-existing rules or question the equations. Everything adds up except the 0 part.

EDIT: Anything below that contradicts this post, and anything above that contradicts it for that matter, is false.

That should do it.

Aleander

05-31-2010

Dividing by zero, please remove yourself from the internet!

Familiar Mage

06-06-2010

Seriously guys? Really? You had nothing better to do?

Lame :P

-Fami ^^

P.s. Your equation is wrong in 3 places... Just saying...

KS Matsay

06-07-2010

Quote:
Guitar:

Given:
a = 1
b = 1

There's your problem. You can't turn letters into numbers like that. Or else nothing makes any sense anymore. Example :

Apples taste bad. => makes sense

1pples t1ste 11d. => makes no sense

Also, though it is very unknown to most people, 2+2 equals, in fact, 5. All that 4 business came from a drunk monk who made a mistake while copying the Bible. His mistake was then copied again, and again, and was carried on through the ages, so that now everyone is wrong and nobody even knows it.

Seriously tho. Dividing by 0. Duh.

Served by k8s-leagueboards-legacy-pods-4d522486a3f9-s2b5j · Please include this when making a bug report.

This is a fanmade archive of the leagcy League of Legends forums/boards. If you have any comments, please use the contact form.

LeagueBoards.net isn't endorsed by Riot Games and doesn't reflect the views or opinions of Riot Games or anyone officially involved in producing or managing League of Legends. League of Legends and Riot Games are trademarks or registered trademarks of Riot Games, Inc. League of Legends © Riot Games, Inc.